Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rough Race

I raced in the Boise Half Ironman last weekend. The forecast was for scattered thunderstorms, but it looked like it was going to be a beautiful day until the starting gun fired. The water was marginally choppy as the wind started to blow across Lucky Peak Reservoir. Made it through the swim no problem, but the rain really started coming down on the bike. At one point, I thought it was hail because the rain was coming down so hard it was painful. Easily the most miserable and probably slowest bike split I've ever had...(I take that back. The bike at the Ironman in Hawaii was much more miserable. ) My brother, Brian, was also racing that day, and he posted a faster bike split than me. Off the bike, my running shoes and socks in T2 were already soaking wet. At the run turnaround, Brian was only about 1/2 mile behind me, which motivated me to speed it up. At the end, I posted a time of 5:35, just 12 minutes ahead of Brian. Overall, the race was a mild disappointment for me, but that's relative because any day I get to race is a great day. Looking forward to the Utah Half Ironman in August.

2 comments:

Jamie. said...

I wish I could have been there to cheer you on!

McCombs Family said...

Hey

Get off of Face Book and update your blog.